Tuesday, March 10, 2009

PERSONAL REFLECTION






I chose this topic because I really like playing basketball. I practically live for game of basketball. I have been playing basketball every since I was a little girl. I played on a basketball team for eight years and I started on the team when I was in the fourth grade. Because of the great talent that I have for basketball, I started a year early. Basketball has played a big role in my life growing up as a child.

It helps me relieve stress whenever I am mad. Whenever I get drafted into the WNBA while I am in college, I would want to get paid the same amount as the men in the NBA. I feel that it is unfair and the women play their heart out as much as the men do in order to when their game. The other thing is that you don’t see any women in commercials like LeBron James and DeWayne Wade. Neither do you see the women’s lead scorers in the front of the Sun-Times nor, do u see the women’s basketball games on the television like how the Bulls be on the television all the time.

This year they even cancelled the women’s finals, what have they done for their season to get cancelled like that. They didn’t cancel the men’s basketball finals and they will never cancel it. It seems like to me that the NBA is way more important than the WNBA. Some of those women play better than some of those men, I feel that the WNBA should get the same treatment as the NBA. Really, I want to have those nice cars and homes like the men do, in order for me to afford that I have to get paid the same amount of money as the men do.

3 comments:

  1. Tacara,

    This is an excellent topic, especially in these rough economic times. Your post is compelling because this is obviously a topic close to your heart. I'll be curious to read what you find about the history of the WNBA and what kind of money it makes. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I've played basketball for practicly my whole life and live for the game.I started the game at the age 11 so I know how it feel to love this sport.I really live for basketball and to see you doing your blogs on this sport shows that you have the passion for the sport too.I believe this is a good topic to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tacara,

    I, too, am really interested in your topic. Your strong point of view elicits my own inner feminist, and makes me wonder about the same questions you raise --why is it that our society places a higher value on men's sports? While not a basketball player, I was a varsity swimmer since I was seven, and I remember feeling that the boys' team got special treatment not afforded to the girls' team.

    ReplyDelete